Re: [Xen-devel] knoppix - request for help.

To: David Becker <becker@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] knoppix - request for help.
From: Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 19:09:55 +0100
Cc: Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 19:18:05 +0100
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> " If anyone has any prior experience with this it would be great to
> " have their help.
>
> yeah I learned a bit about knoppix this spring.  I made a nfsroot
> partition from knoppix 3.3 that would boot xen-1.2.  I didn't use the
> official remaster procedure, and am not familiar with that.  The biggest
> hitch is that knoppix uses a custom kernel module to read
> their compressed file system format.  So this module would be yet another
> patch for xenolinux.

That's tedious. I wander what they thought was wrong with the
standard ziosfs ?  This wasn't standard for a time, but is now.

> " 'knx-hdinstall'. I presume that gives you something approximating
> " a Debian install?
>
> yep the hard drive install feature puts a Debian system on disk.

Nice.

> "  * switch from isolinux to grub with iso support (isolinux can't
> " handle multiboot kernels)
>
> I believe that the grub iso support only plays nice with some BIOSes.
> The knoppix ISO uses the El Torito option (BIOS boots a floppy image on the
> CD emulating a floppy drive), and grub ISO only does no-emulation mode.
> El Torito is a more universal boot method.     ..if I recall correctly.
> And has the iso patch made it into the grub sources?

We're pretty much tied to grub because of using multiboot.

The command line that I use to mkisofs contains -no-emul-boot so
I guess your comment is correct. I don't think we had too many
failure-to-boot-to-grub reports (though I can recall one).

> "  * delete a few big packages to make space for xen stuff
>
> Deleting openoffice would more than suffice.  Having a desktop is great
> for the demo so I would keep kde.

That's what I was thinking.

Cheers,
Ian