Re: [Xen-devel] domains flapping

To: James Harper <JamesH@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] domains flapping
From: Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 14:01:26 +0100
Cc: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 14:02:55 +0100
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Whilst tinkering with lvm (which now works great - thanks!), I made a typo
> which caused the domain to stop booting. I think it was just that I got the
> config file wrong in terms of which device mapped to which.
>
> Anyway, I had specified 'restart=True' and so the domain was starting to
> boot, failing, then restarting again. This was the expected behaviour, but it
> was a pain to kill. Had I thought of it I would have just killed xend but I
> was doing an 'xm list' to find the domain number, then 'xm destroy', but by
> then it had moved on. doh!
>
> How easy would it be to put in some logic to detect a domain restarting
> rapidly in quick succession and either stop restarting it, or introduce an
> increasing delay between restarts?

Fair point. Mike is jsut about to make some changes to the reboot
logic so that the reboot flag is a tristate:
'always'/'never'/'if_domain_exits_with_a_reboot_code'.

This won't necessarily fix the flapping problem, unless the
domain exits with a non reboot code, which Linux tends not to.

The flapping problem is a right pain. (I do an 'xm list' then try
killing domid+1).

The easiest hack might be to add a 30s delay between restarts if
the uptime of the domain is less than e.g. 2 minutes.

Ian