Re: [Xen-devel] more on current pull

To: ron minnich <rminnich@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] more on current pull
From: Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 00:53:40 +0100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 00:54:44 +0100
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> xm is really nice, I have to say. Easy to use and debug
>
> I am occasionally seeing my network just go away. For example, I did this:
> xend start
> xm create vmid=1
> telnet 127.1 9601
>    (wait a while, admire output stuff, see that it fails to nfsroot since
>    I didn't set one up)
> xm destroy 1
>    (dom 1 goes away)
> at that point, I've got no eth0.
>
> Should I be using some other eth for the dom0->domN networking?  Is there
> something else I'm doing wrong?

When you run "xend start", you should see a bridge device being
created (xen-br0), and the IP address and routes that previously
were set up for eth0 being transferred to xen-br0. Doing the
transfer is necessary because of an oddity in the Linux bridge
code.

Killing a domain certainly shouldn't cause you to loose
networking in dom0. "/etc/xen/vif-bridge down" doesn't do very
much, so I'm surprised its causing you problems.

You might want to try commenting out all the iptables lines below
the 'brctl' line.

> p.s. are you using your own s-expression library for parsing or ... I'm
> curious because all our cluster tools here use s-expressions for internal
> comms.

Mike Wray's the s-expression champion. I believe he rolled his own.

Ian