RE: [Xen-devel] can't mount root... devfs???

To: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] can't mount root... devfs???
From: James Harper <JamesH@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 19:38:50 +1000
Cc: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 10:47:06 +0100
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
devfs is alive and well in 2.6. there is a udev(?) scheme i think which accomplishes the same sort of thing via a different mechanism, but that is about the extent of my knowledge on it and is probably wrong anyway!!!

it is the kernel failing to mount /dev/sda7, not userspace. It also fails if I specify root as 0807, so I guess it isn't a devfs issue on dom1. Dom0 also is using devfs, /dev/sda7 is a symlink to /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target5/lun0/part7, which is in turn of the right major and minor number. Would xen be failing to work out the device numbers because of the symlink?

After my next reboot i'll try making /dev/sda7 a proper device node. After dom1 crashes and burns, I don't seem to be able to kill it (xm destroy 1), or create it again, so I have to reboot. doh.

Also, make menuconfig for xenU flashes an error on the screen but otherwise works unless I try to look in SCSI where I get this message:

Menuconfig has encountered a possible error in one of the kernel's
configuration files and is unable to continue.  Here is the error
report:
 Q> scripts/Menuconfig: line 832: MCmenu53: command not found
Please report this to the maintainer <mec@xxxxxxxxx>.  You may also
send a problem report to <linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>.
Please indicate the kernel version you are trying to configure and
which menu you were trying to enter when this error occurred.

James