Re: [Xen-devel] Can guest OS handle system calls by itself?

To: "Yan Li" <yan_li00@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Can guest OS handle system calls by itself?
From: Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2004 09:20:28 +0100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 01 Jun 2004 09:22:19 +0100
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> I'm wondering if the guest OS can handle most of the system calls by itself?
> Only for these hypercalls defined in hypervisor.h, guest OS needs to go down
> to Xen. For all other system calls, xeno handles in its own doamin well.

A Guest OS can register a 'fast trap' handler that will typically
enable direct entry to its system call handlers without bouncing
via Xen.  The guest will probably be able to handle most system
calls without any interaction with Xen. However, if it's modifying
or switching page tables etc then it will need to make hypercalls
down to Xen in the normal way.

Ian