Re: [Xen-devel] Dual CPU

To: ducong@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Dual CPU
From: Steven Hand <Steven.Hand@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 07 May 2004 16:32:30 +0100
Cc: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 07 May 2004 16:38:41 +0100
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Hello,
> I am trying to use xen on a Dual CPU machine. Does it support dual cpu? After
> installation, I can only see one cpu there.

Xen supports multiple CPUs; if you have an SMP box, it should
understand this just fine unless you've specified "nosmp" on the
xen command line. Try typing

  xc_physinfo.py

(if you've installed the tools, and you're using an up-to-date version
of xen and xenolinux).

You can also check the boot output from xen to see if it seems to
find both CPUs.

Guest OSes like XenoLinux, however, can only use one CPU; if you
have a dual CPU machine and boot xen + only 1 XenoLinux, you'll
only end up using one CPU for most things (interrupt handling aside).
However if you boot a second XenoLinux, it will be able to use the
second CPU.

cheers,

S.