Re: [Xen-devel] Create Dom1, 'only root can do that' ?

To: "Yan Li" <yan_li00@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Create Dom1, 'only root can do that' ?
From: Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 06 May 2004 01:47:23 +0100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 06 May 2004 01:51:31 +0100
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> I'm using xeno1.2, and wanna create dom1, but it report this problems:
>
> [1] modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module net-pf-11
> [1] modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module net-pf-4
> [1] modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module net-pf-5
> [1] modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module net-pf-18
> [1] modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module net-pf-9

These messages are probably harmless -- you're version of
xenolinux just doesn't have these modules built and installed. If
you want them, follow the normal Linux config and build procedures.

> [1] Warning: cannot open /proc/net/dev (No such file or directory). Limited
> output.
> [1] Mounting proc filesystem:  mount: only root can do that
> [1] [FAILED]
> [1] Configuring kernel parameters:  Error: /proc must be mounted
> [1]   To mount /proc at boot you need an /etc/fstab line like:
> [1]       /proc   /proc   proc    defaults
> [1]   In the meantime, mount /proc /proc -t proc

I've never seen this before. It's almost certainly nothing to do
with Xen. If you put a standard Linux kernel down on the same
file system I'll bet it will do the same.

Have you checked that your /etc/fstab does indeed contain the
/proc mount line?  Does the mountpoint directory exist?

Best,
Ian