Re: [Xen-devel] Non-standard use of Xen I/O Architecture

To: "Barry Silverman" <barry@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Non-standard use of Xen I/O Architecture
From: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2004 09:35:38 +0100
Cc: "Ian Pratt" <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sat, 03 Apr 2004 09:37:37 +0100
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Great, I was hoping you would say that...
>
> Will some documentation be available (or will you update the mini-os
> example) to describe the guest driver interface that are not in a linux
> driver?

We ought to write more documentation. :-)

The mini-OS doesn't currently do any I/O -- it's just an example of
setting up exception vectors, page tables, and other CPU stuff. This
is the kind of thing that tends to get buried in the bootstrap cruft
in a full-sized OS and so is useful to pull out into somethign
simpler. Device drivers are usually self-contained, and so easy to
find and understand -- hopefully the Linux virtual drivers will
suffice as a 'reference implementation'.

 -- Keir