[Xen-devel] Python version

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] Python version
From: Sean Atkinson <sean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 15:53:23 +0100
Delivery-date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 15:03:51 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

I'm having trouble using xc_com_create.py.  It reports that it's missing
tempfile.mkdtemp() in xend_control_message from line 195 of
xenctl/utils.py.  The xen.bkbits.net indicates this change was added to
version 1.19 on 14 March.

The reason it's missing is it was only introduced to Python 2.3, and
both Red Hat Linux 9 and Fedora are using 2.2 (2.2.2-26 and 2.2.3-7
respectively).  Although I can install the 2.3 RPM from python.org along
side Red Hat's, /usr/bin/python is still 2.2 and changing that would
break all sorts, as discussed in this FAQ:

http://www.python.org/2.3.3/rpms.html#FAQ

Changing "python" to "python2.3" in the scripts doesn't import Xc.so
since it's installed in 2.2 site packages.  We could change every python
script to specify python2.3 instead of the default system version and
fix the site packages too, but forcing a particular version seems bad.

What distributions are these scripts tested to work on?  Is there any
magic I should be using to make things work on Red Hat?

Cheers,

Sean.

--
Sean Atkinson <sean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>