[Xen-devel] USB in xenolinux

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] USB in xenolinux
From: Sean Atkinson <sean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 12:10:02 +0100
Delivery-date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 12:31:21 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

I'm trying to add USB support to xenolinux for DOM0.

I've hacked arch/xeno/config.in to source Config.in files for usb and
input, added pci_alloc_consistent and pci_free_consistent to
arch/xeno/kernel/i386_ksyms.c, and enabled building PCI and USB in my
config.  I can build the kernel and modules fine, and it even boots.

I've had to move the host controller (usb-uhci) from a module into the
kernel since it missed the above PCI symbols.  I can't figure this out,
since I can list the symbols in xenolinux.gz, System.map, and
/proc/ksyms.  However depmod only works with "-F System.map" even when
running the xenolinux kernel.  Seems there's some discrepancy between
the live and built system maps?

Anyway dmesg looks good:

usb.c: registered new driver usbdevfs
usb.c: registered new driver hub
host/usb-uhci.c: $Revision: 1.275 $ time 11:12:36 Mar 18 2004
host/usb-uhci.c: High bandwidth mode enabled
host/usb-uhci.c: USB UHCI at I/O 0xd400, IRQ 11
host/usb-uhci.c: Detected 2 ports
usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
startup_physirq_event 11
startup_physirq_event 11: setup event handler
hub.c: USB hub found
hub.c: 2 ports detected
host/usb-uhci.c: USB UHCI at I/O 0xd800, IRQ 11
host/usb-uhci.c: Detected 2 ports
usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 2
hub.c: USB hub found
hub.c: 2 ports detected
host/usb-uhci.c: v1.275:USB Universal Host Controller Interface driver

Which is similar to regular Linux output, except it's missing lines like
this:

PCI: Found IRQ 11 for device 00:07.2
PCI: Sharing IRQ 11 with 00:07.3

Unfortunately although modules input, hid, keybdev and mousedev are
loaded on boot as usual, no external devices are visible in Xen.
Insertion and removal are ignored, the key locks don't light on my
keyboard, and only the internal hubs are listed by lsusb and
/proc/bus/usb/devices.

Any thought please?

Cheers,

Sean.