RE: [Xen-devel] mingetty on console on demo disk

To: Barry Silverman <barry@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] mingetty on console on demo disk
From: Kip Macy <kmacy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 22:00:58 -0800 (PST)
Cc: Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 06:02:13 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Maybe pulling xend into telnetd itself would work?

In my environment I run a bunch of OS simulators for testing. The test
harness manages the interface to the simulator itself so it effectively
owns the pty. Some of the developers wanted to be able to interact with
the console while the tests were running under the harness. The first
thing I tried doing was just writing some python code that would
multiplex a connection. I quickly discovered that that wasn't adequate
for having a well-behaved telnet connection. There is a lot of terminal
negotiation that goes on under the covers with telnetd. What I ended up
doing was hacking telnetd internal interfaces to be re-entrant so that
they could allow multiple connections to the same pty at once.

Perhaps you could also customize telnetd to leverage all the telnet
negoatiation code. Ideally, of course, you'd pull the negotiation code
out of telnet. However, that would be a bigger undertaking.

                                -Kip