Re: [Xen-devel] Roadmap questions

To: matta@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Roadmap questions
From: Mark Williamson <Mark.Williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 11:55:09 +0000
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Mark.Williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 11:57:26 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> 3) Is there any documentation on the new VBD code?  Is there yet a way
> to make dynamically growing (sparse) disks or to be able to access a
> domain's filesystem from domain 0?

The current generation of VBD stuff is documented in docs/VBD-HOWTO.txt -
there's some background about how VBDs and Virtual Disks are (currently)
implemented, some info about the tools and a little walkthrough of an example
task.  The VBD / VD functionality is a bit like LVM and works in a similar way.

The current state of play is this:
* virtual disks are allocated from a pool of space set aside in one or more
whole partitions or disks.  They can't, for instance, just be files on some
other domain's filesystem.
* virtual disks can be created from that pool of free space as needed.  Space
reserved for a particular virtual disk is then allocated and hence unusable
for other virtual disks, even if untouched by the domain it belongs to.  This
guarantees that space will be available if / when needed by the domain.  As a
result you can't speculatively "overbook" your virtual disk free pool.
* You can enlarge existing virtual disks, export them to files, import from
files and various other useful things (details in the readme / howto).
* You can add and remove VBD access to / from domains dynamically, rather like
hot plugging (e.g. to access a filesystem from dom0).

Like Ian said, make sure you don't have filesystems writeable by more than one
domain at once - most filesystems can't cope (and will get very badly
corrupted).  (actually, Linux also gets confused if someone else is writing a
filesystem it has mounted read only but this shouldn't cause corruption).
There's some sanity checking for shared disk mappings in the tools.

Some of the VBD / VD stuff might change in the new I/O world.

HTH.

Mark