Re: [Xen-devel] Pagetable updates

To: Kip Macy <kmacy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Pagetable updates
From: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 08:26:18 +0000
Cc: Xen list <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 08:29:41 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
When the refcnt of an L2 table is raised from zero, the whole page
table structure is scanned to check it for safety. If the L2 table did
not explicitly have its refcnt pinned to non-zero then this scanning
would occur every time the table was installed into the hardware MMU.

Pinning is *only* a performance enhancement -- you can get away
without using the mechanism, but it will cost you performance.

 -- Keir