Re: [Xen-devel] Kernel panic while compiling kernel

To: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Kernel panic while compiling kernel
From: Zachary Amsden <zamsden@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 17:49:00 -0800
Cc: "Tvrtko A. Uršulin" <tvrtko@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 01:58:34 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Just an observation - I've noticed that several of the include files include linux/config.h and some include xeno/config.h - also for some other included files this is the case. Also, -nostdinc only seems to be applied to the arch/i386 branch - which means the drivers may be getting a different set of include paths. Perhaps some of your config settings are different in different .c files as a result with non-standard config options. Although I kind of doubt the problem is this simple, it seems reasonable to clean up the build tree so that it has a well isolated include structure. I think I just volunteered myself unless anyone else is already working on it.

Zachary Amsden
zamsden@xxxxxxxxx

Keir Fraser wrote:

*BUT* take it as a reminder to list everything non-standard about your
build and environment when reporting a bug.
Ok, I understand.

PS. Can you try building your own Xenolinux with all your config
changes _except_ the ones listed above? i.e. you should have
CONFIG_M686=y and CONFIG_X86_L1_CACHE_SHIFT=5. I expect that the
resulting kernel should not crash.
It does crash. :)

If you're sure that the CPU config options were set to the default,
and that you booted the correct kernel, then a useful thing to do is
the following:
Incrementally remove your config options (i.e. move towards the
default Xenolinux configuration) until your kernel image no longer
crashes. Or alternatively:
Starting from teh default Xenolinux configuration, incrementally add
your desired extra config options until the resulting kernel image
starts to crash.

In this way we can pinpoint which kernel config option is causing
Xenolinux to fail.

-- Keir