Re: [Xen-devel] The Problem of Creating a domain

To: "Inaba" <m9244001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] The Problem of Creating a domain
From: Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 10:19:35 +0000
Cc: "Ian Pratt" <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "xen-devel" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 10:21:10 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> vbd_list = [ ('phy:hda5','hda5','w' ), ('phy:hda3','hda3','w') ]
>
> but it shows the error message as below
>
> Warning: one or more hard disk extents are
>          writeable by two or more domains simultaneously.
> ERROR: This kind of disk sharing is not allowed
>         at the current safety level (0).

The vbd_list determines what areas of the disk the new domain
will have access to.

This error message is triggering because you are tying to do
something that is dangerous : giving two domains read/write
access to the same area of disk.

The two domains need their own, separate, root filesystems.  It
looks like you're trying to have hda5 as the root filesystem for
the new domain, but already have it mounted in domain0, hence the
error.

Also, it looks like you're trying to give both domains hda3 as a
swap device, which will definitely not work!

There are several sources of documentation that we hope to
collate and get on the main Xen pages:

Jans' excellent Xen FAQ:
http://xen.epiuse.com/xen-faq.txt

Bin Ren's HOWTO: