Re: [Xen-devel] 09 Feb 1.2 hangs on partition check

On Wed, Feb 11, 2004 at 11:03:26AM +0000, Keir Fraser wrote:
> > > I built xen and xenolinux from this morning's 1.2 pull and attempted to
> > > boot it on the same hardware where I've been running the 02 Feb 1.2
> > > build.  It hangs in partition check.  Compiler for both builds is gcc
> > > 3.0.4.  BIOS settings etc. are the same -- this node reboots back into
> > > the 02 Feb build just fine.
> >
> > Any chance you could try with a different version of GCC? This sounds
> > possibly like an unexpected optimisation by the compiler (I saw a
> > problem with very similar symptoms a coupel of weeks ago that affected
> > mainly early GCC 3.x compilers).
> >
> > Perhaps I should keep a suite of GCC installations lying around for
> > local testing of this kind of bug. :-)

Has anyone started work on a regression test infrastructure?  I'm
thinking either something local, or something distributed similar to the
cpan-testers pool...

> Okay, I've tried building Xen/Xenolinux with GCC 3.0.4. Although I
> didn't see your bug, I saw enough other weirdness (e.g., the
> start-of-day TSC skew calculations are broken) that I am convinced GCC
> 3.0.x is a bad choice!
>
> Please move to a more recent GCC (e.g. GCC 3.2.2 seems to work, and
> I've seen 3.3.x working in the past).

Will do.

Steve
--
Stephen G. Traugott  (KG6HDQ)
UNIX/Linux Infrastructure Architect, TerraLuna LLC