Re: [Xen-devel] Graceful shutdown of a virtual domain

To: stevegt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Graceful shutdown of a virtual domain
From: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 12:24:26 +0000
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 12:35:10 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Hi All,
>
> I've been looking through the code and list archives but haven't found
> this yet...  From dom0, how do you cause a virtual domain to gracefully
> shutdown?  It seems like the machinery is there somewhere, because the
> hypervisor can do it to dom0...
>
> For reference, in UML you do this by putting this in /etc/inittab:
>
>       ca:12345:ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -h now
>
> ...and then sending it a ctrlaltdel signal from the userland tool.

In Xen 1.2 you can use the xc_dom_control script:
 xc_dom_control.py shutdown <dom-id>

In Xen 1.3 the scripts aren't completely up to date yet. There's an
old script in tools/examples that should do the trick though:
 destroydom.py <dom-id>

In both cases, if the domain is unresponsive then there is an option
to forcibly kill it.

 -- Keir