[Xen-devel] Xen + globus steps

Over a month ago, I mentioned I was working to configure
Xen as a set of virtual machines for Grid software development.

The outcome is here:
        http://www.arsc.edu/~newby/grid/xen-for-grid.txt

Yes, it works!

Since the Xen design (for xenctl and friends) has changed since I
started, my steps are somewhat outdated.  Most of the problems I
describe in the file above were with Globus, not Xen, but it did take
awhile to get Xen built correctly, both the basic kernel build
and boot, and then the configuration for additional domains.

There is still a lot of Grid development to me do, but once it's
relatively stable and Xen 1.2 is out, I'll upgrade Xen.  The main
items I'm desiring from Xen:

- large memory support (up to 4GB per virtual domain)
- SMP support (it looks like my dual processor system never uses
  the second processor at all, even with multiple Xen domains)

My only general comment for Xen developers is to update this page:
        http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/Research/SRG/netos/xen/

Currently, it only mentions the 1.0 CD, not how to get and build 1.1
or 1.2rc , and it doesn't include a link to the HOWTO (which moved
since the last time I looked at it).  The BitKeeper instructions
on the Download page should be updated for 1.2rc, too.  Otherwise,
you'll have any new user trying to get 1.0 installed, which doesn't
make much sense.

Thanks for a great program!  This is really helpful for setting
up simulated clusters and Grid environments, and I'll be sharing
my results with the Grid developers I know.
  -- Greg

Dr. Gregory B. Newby, Research Faculty, Arctic Region Supercomputing Center
University of Alaska Fairbanks.  PO Box 756020, Fairbanks, AK 99775
e: newby AT arsc.edu v: 907-474-7160 f: 907-474-5494 w: www.arsc.edu/~newby