[Xen-devel] unclean file system

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] unclean file system
From: Jefferson Ng <jwng@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2003 02:37:11 -0800 (PST)
Delivery-date: Sun, 07 Dec 2003 10:38:14 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hey everyone,

Thanks for the quick help resonses once again,

  We got some mail saying that RAM disks were not the way to go.  So we
re-installed, made several partitions to use, and rebuilt xen.  However,
we're still having trouble mounting partitions when xeno-linux boots.

We give a physical grant of one of our newly made paritions (/dev/hda14 in
particular) to the domain.  But when we start a xenlinux domain we get
error messages saying that "Your systems appears to have shut down
uncleanly".  It then proceeds to check the root file system and runs fsck
on it, which goes fine.  It tries to activate swap but it can't seem to
find /dev/hda3.  These seem odd but not critical.

Then it tries to do fsck on /dev/hda1 (boot) and we get a error message
saying "The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct
ext2 filesystem".  It does this for all filesystems in the fstab file.
For the one we give a physical grant (/dev/hda14, mounted on /xen1), it
goes into a seemingly infinate loop where we see the message "/xen1:
recovering journal" over and over unitl it runs out of file descriptors.

As usual we'll take any suggestions.  We think we might need to unmount
the filesystems from the domain0 before letting other Xenolinuxes get a
hold of them, but that doesn't explain where our other errors come from.

Attached is the log, in case that helps any.

More thanks,
David Berlin, Jeremy Chiu, Jefferson Ng

---

This is part of the xenolinux startup log
The lines with "**" in front are the ones we think are important
[2]             Welcome to Red Hat Linux
[2]             Press 'I' to enter interactive startup.
[2] Mounting proc filesystem:  [  OK  ]
[2] Configuring kernel parameters:  [  OK  ]
[2] modprobe: modprobe: Can't open dependencies file
/lib/modules/2.4.22-xeno/modules.dep (No such file or directory)
[2] modprobe: modprobe: Can't open dependencies file
/lib/modules/2.4.22-xeno/modules.dep (No such file or directory)
[2] hwclock is unable to get I/O port access:  the iopl(3) call failed.
[2] Setting clock  (localtime): Sat Dec  6 14:16:51 PST 2003 [  OK  ]
[2] Setting hostname localhost.localdomain:  [  OK  ]
[2] modprobe: Can't open dependencies file
/lib/modules/2.4.22-xeno/modules.dep (No such file or directory)
**[2] Your system appears to have shut down uncleanly
[2]
Press Y within 5 seconds to force file system integrity check...
Press Y within 4 seconds to force file system integrity check...
Press Y within 3 seconds to force file system integrity check...
Press Y with
[2] k...
Press Y within 1 seconds to force file system integrity check...
[2] Checking root filesystem
[2] /: clean, 131153/2052288 files, 715068/4096575 blocks
[2] [/sbin/fsck.ext3 (1) -- /] fsck.ext3 -a /dev/hda2
[2] [  OK  ]
[2] Remounting root filesystem in read-write mode:  [  OK  ]
**[2] Activating swap partitions:  swapon: /dev/hda3: No such device
[2] [FAILED]
[2] Finding module dependencies:  depmod: Can't open
/lib/modules/2.4.22-xeno/modules.dep for writing
[2] [FAILED]
[2] Checking filesystems
**[2] fsck.ext3/dev/hda1:
**[2] The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2
**[2] filesystem.  If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
**[2] filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the
superblock
**[2] is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate
superblock:
[2]     e2fsck -b 8193 <device>
[2]
**[2] : Invalid argument while trying to open /dev/hda1
**[2] /xen1: recovering journal
[2] /xen1: recovering journal
[2] /xen1: recovering journal
[2] /xen1: recovering journal