Re: [Xen-devel] Problems

On 24 Nov 2003, at 05:02, Jaswinder S. Ahluwalia wrote:

Hi,

We followed the instructions listed athttp://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~br260/xeno-howto. We are using Mandrake 9.2 on a P4 1.6 ghzwith 512mb of ram. We have several issues:

1). On our first boot up into domain zero it says it can’t find any of the hardware (cdrom, hda, fd0, etc.).

It says it can't find any of the hardware, but you still manage
to boot and log into Domain0. It must be some bugs that
create all these noises.

2). We get a lot of warnings when booting into domain zero and when starting domains about files that should be in /var/lib/xen or xeno-something.

This is sth new to me. Let me look into this.

3). xen_nat_enable doesn’t exist.

It's under 'tools/misc'. Current Makefile doesn't
copy it to '../../../install/bin'. That's why you can't
find it. Just copy it from 'tools/misc' into PATH.

4). xen_read_console says it cannot bind to a port.

You have to successfully run 'xen_nat_enable' before
running 'xen_read_console &' ('&' means running in background).
You must run it as 'root'.

5).  Ourxenctl.xml is as follows:
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<domctl_defaults>
<domain_name>XenoLinux</domain_name>
<domain_size_kb>98304</domain_size_kb>
<domain_image>/boot/xenolinux.gz</domain_image>
<domain_vifs>1</domain_vifs>
<domain_init_rd>/boot/initrd.img</domain_init_rd>
<root_device>/dev/hda5</root_device>
<root_args>ro</root_args>
<args>DOMID=+</args>
<nw_ip>192.168.1.5+</nw_ip>

It's better for you to use:
<nw_ip>169.254.1.0+</nw_ip>

<nw_gw>192.168.1.1</nw_gw>

Use:
<nw_gw>169.254.1.0</nw_gw>

<nw_mask>255.255.255.0</nw_mask>
<max_domain_number>1000</max_domain_number>
<xi_tools_dir>/usr/local/bin/</xi_tools_dir>
</domctl_defaults>

6). Ourxen-mynewdom file is as follows:
domain new
physical grant –p/dev/hda5
domain start

7). When we create a domain with the script above, we also get a warning about nothing in /var/lib/xen and that it cannot find /dev/hda5.

Looks like noise again.

8). We can initially ping the new domain once it has been started but cannot ssh into it.

After you successfully run 'xen_nat_enable'
and 'xen_read_console &', you will see
XenoLinux boot message on your console
when starting a new domain.

Look into the message and see if there is
any line talks about 'starting sshd'.

If so, it's obvious that you don't link 'sshd'
into your run level directory (similar to
/etc/rc2.d for level 2, etc). Do that.

-- Bin