Re: [Xen-devel] Setting up a more complex system scenario

To: "Tvrtko A. Uršulin" <tvrtko@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Setting up a more complex system scenario
From: Steven Hand <Steven.Hand@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 08:55:13 +0000
Cc: Bin Ren <br260@xxxxxxxxx>, Devel Xen <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Steven.Hand@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 08:55:14 +0000
>> A useful feature of this script is that: each time you run
>> 'xenctl script -f/etc/xen-mynewdom', it creates and starts
>> a new domain with an 'always-increasing' domain id, i.e.
>> you run 'xenctl' for the Nth time, it creates a domain with
>> domain id 'N', even if some previous domains (with domain
>> id < N) have been destroyed.
>
>How to reset that counter?

Currently there is no way to do so (apart from hacking the xen code :-)
It's possible that we'll modify this in the future, but for the near
future it's not likely.

A better solution is to modify the user-space tools (xenctl etc) to
handle allocation of resources in a less fragile way; this may happen
soonish as we're in the process of designing a new set of user-space
tools with a better notion of allocation, etc.

cheers,

S.