Re: [Xen-devel] Network issues with SuSE firewall

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Network issues with SuSE firewall
From: "Gregory Newby" <newby@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 13:35:29 -0900
Delivery-date: Fri, 07 Nov 2003 22:38:50 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, Nov 07, 2003 at 10:03:41PM +0000, Ian Pratt wrote:
> > First, I noted that xen_nat_enable was *not* built along with the
> > other tools in xeno-clone/install/bin.  Is this still needed (per the
> > README.CD instructions, for a NAT-based virtual host, rather than
> > IP-based)?
>
> It's a script rather than a binary.

Yes....I was just worried about versioning, as we've been
warned with the xi_ programs.

> The current 'loop through domain0' approach to NAT is not the
> long term solution (we're adding NAT to Xen).
>
> I'm afraid I'm not entirely surprised that xen_nat_enable doesn't
> play well with your firewall.

I'll do a little more diagnosis in the future.  What I think
happened, though, is that the NAT's nat* rules somehow discarded
the filter* rules.  I was also getting some complaints about
mangle* needing to load the iptables module, which was not found
(this was when I was trying to re-add my default rules).

iptables is a big pain, no matter what.  But adding nat* rules
(especially when there were none in the first place) seems
like it should work.

> Are you short of IP addresses? I'd certainly recommend using one
> IP per guest for the moment unless you really have to use NAT. Of
> course, you don't need to use NAT if you only want to do
> inter-guest communication (you can use the 169.254.1.X addresses
> directly).

1) Yes, I'll have IP addresses to play with, but don't yet as of today.
2) Hmmm -- this does not work.  Any quick guess what to try fixing?

$ xenctl domain list
id: 0 (Domain-0)
  processor: 0
  has cpu: true
  state: 0 active
  mcu advance: 10
  total pages: 192000
id: 2 (XenoLinux)
  processor: 0
  has cpu: false
  state: 1 stopped
  mcu advance: 10
  total pages: 24576

$ ifconfig eth0:0
eth0:0    Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:B0:D0:DF:FA:ED
          inet addr:169.254.1.0  Bcast:169.254.255.255  Mask:255.255.0.0

$ ping -c1 169.254.1.0
PING 169.254.1.0 (169.254.1.0) from 169.254.1.0 : 56(84) bytes of data.

--- 169.254.1.0 ping statistics ---
1 packets transmitted, 1 received, 0% loss, time 0ms

$ ping -c1 169.254.1.1
PING 169.254.1.1 (169.254.1.1) from 169.254.1.0 : 56(84) bytes of data.

        [times out]

--- 169.254.1.1 ping statistics ---
1 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% loss, time 0ms

I saw nat* rules for this, also for port 2201.  But now
I re-ran xen_nat_enable and locked myself out again.  I'll
reboot, and look some more, but meanwhile maybe you can
tell me:

- Should 169.254.1.1 be ping-able from 169.254.1.0 ?
- Do I "ssh -p2201 root@xxxxxxxxxxx"
  or "ssh -p2201 root@xxxxxxxxxxx" or
     "ssh -p2201 root@localhost" or the native IP address (137. ...)

Finally, and this concludes today's confusion: I seem unable to
get any sort of console output after the kernel boots.  I
redirected with "console=xencons0", but even after NAT, don't
get anything.  /dev/tty0 didn't seem any different.

I'd *really* like to redirect to a file, or to the
physical console (tty0).  I suspect this is another firewall
issue with console messages via UDP & NAT, but if there is
a workaround to get it sent to a file I'd greatly prefer it.

Ok, one more random question: I noted that the new domain
wanted an initrd.gz, but I did not get a new one in the
xeno-clone tree.  "mkinitrd -k image.gz -i initrd.gz" failed
("couldn't find modules").  I copied the initrd from the
CD and it seems to work, but it might not forever.

> > I copied & ran the xen_nat_enable from the CD, and immediately was
> > unable to access my machine to/from the network (I had already run
> > "ifconfig eth0:0 169.254.1.0 up").
> >
> > What I found was that the SuSEfirewall default configuration did not
> > get along well with whatever changes to iptables were made by
> > xen_nat_enable.  My solution, which needs to be tuned later, was to
> > edit /etc/sysconfig/SuSEfirewall2 to greatly loosen the firewall.  I
> > then restarted it:
>
> Another thing to watch out for is that some distributions
> 'helpfully' create random link-local 169.254.x.x addresses for
> all interfaces automatically. This doesn't play well with our use
> of link-local addresses. e.g. you have to nail this in RH9 with ZEROCONF=NO
> in ifcfg-eth0

I'm using SuSE, which doesn't seem to do this.  However, the
SuSE setup for iptables is *really* much more difficult than
for RedHat.  They obfuscate it in multiple layers of scripts and
stuff...
  -- Greg