Re: [Xen-devel] New kernel won't boot

Just a quick note: I noticed that a top-level "make clean" in the
xeno-clone directory does not remove xenolinux.gz, and a top-level
"make" does not rebuild xenolinux.gz

(destination is the xeno-clone/install/boot directory)

Since I cannot find it documented elsewhere, here is the
procedure I'm using to build from scratch.

1. mkdir xen-new ; cd xen-new  (or whatever...)

2. Grab source:
        bk clone bk://xen.bkbits.net/xeno-1.1.bk

3. Grab pristine kernel, put it with links so it will be found
under xen-new and the newly-created xeno-unstable.bk:
        linux-2.4.22.tar.gz

4. cd xeno-1.1.bk

5. Build everything, merging the Xen source w/ the pristine kernel:
        tools/misc/xen-clone

6. The xenolinux file was built:
        cp xeno-clone/install/boot/xenolinux /boot/xenolinux.gz

7. But there was no image.gz as expected in xeno-clone/install/boot/,
it was here:
        xeno-clone/xenolinux-2.4.22/arch/xeno/boot/image.gz
and not bootable.

(Kier wrote:
"You should then find a Xen image.gz file in xeno-clone/install/boot. This
same file also resides at xeno-clone/xeno-1.0.bk/xen/image.gz.")

There is no other "image" or "image.gz" anywhere.

8. I went to the kernel directory, and built the kernel from scratch:
        cd xeno-clone/xenolinux-2.4.22
(edited .config to add ReiserFS support)
        make dep
        make
        make modules
        (as root) make modules_install (but there were none)
        make bzImage

9. Then, back up to the xeno-clone directory (cd ../..)
        make install

10. NOW, there was image.gz in xen-new/install/boot/image.gz also the
same in xen-new/xeno-1.1.bk/xen/image.gz (and image) which was
bootable

  -- Greg