xen-community

[Xen-community] Re: Xen HVM device emulation

To: Stephen Spector <stephen.spector@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-community] Re: Xen HVM device emulation
From: Anh Nguyen <nguyenminhanh@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 14:26:46 -0700
Cc: "xen-community@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-community@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 14:27:00 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:received:in-reply-to :references:date:message-id:subject:from:to:cc:content-type; bh=HVUO8bSmFT11mHUD+/OZB1WbcXgEw4sAessrXaNkh5k=; b=Zxvfh/T6ZLgpLaKezZ87a8OmGPoSsy63cWlGS3ewjxkXGekdv1Cy9CqtdpCsunM6v4 xyHrs72cAlCKeIG4rfXGqygvhaIeTFNf54NlhMdF8pubDL4i1bW5bspekMo+SE0QPmpk 3sHNMGurvAFjhlhJrgUHGhnsBYohBY4MRHdyA=
Sender: xen-community-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Stephen,

Thanks for responding. I already read these two documents but I want to know more from a developer perspective, not an user perspective.

From what I have learnt so far Xen HVM use qemu to emulate devices, and I found the code for many virtual devices inside qemu-dm\hw directory.

For a lot of devices, such as virtual PCI buses, virtual RTC... those code should be sufficient, but for others which have to talk with physical devices, including network and storage, there must be a mechanism to multiplex access from multiple HVM guests.

I wonder if what piece of code inside Xen that is responsible for this multiplexing?

Thanks,

-Anh