xen-community

[Xen-community] Virtual Interface Configuration Speed

To: xen-community@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-community] Virtual Interface Configuration Speed
From: Wark <jgua2418@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 10:23:50 +0100
Delivery-date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 02:23:51 -0700
Sender: xen-community-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi, I'm Xen to do my Final Project in the University.

My goal is to test Xen as virtual router and also test it as VLAN server.
I'm trying to test this environments with Iperf and monitoring Dom0 and DomU CPU's with SNMP.

My problem is with de virtual interfaces. I've been tested the packet rate using DomU as router, and physical machines as client and server with Iperf.

If I configure the physical interfaces directly to the DomU, there are no problem. The DomU see that as 100Mb/s interfaces and the packet rate is the same that in a physical linux router.

The problem is when I configure the network with bridged. The virtual interfaces apears on DomU as 10Mb/s and the packet rate is limited aprox. in 14.000 pack/s without CPU o RAM saturation.

See the snmpwalk of IfHighSpeed in DomU(Dom_id=2) and Dom0

Dom0

IF-MIB::ifName.2 = STRING: peth0
IF-MIB::ifName.3 = STRING: peth1
IF-MIB::ifName.4 = STRING: peth2
IF-MIB::ifHighSpeed.2 = Gauge32: 100
IF-MIB::ifHighSpeed.3 = Gauge32: 100
IF-MIB::ifHighSpeed.4 = Gauge32: 100
IF-MIB::ifName.5 = STRING: vif0.0
IF-MIB::ifName.7 = STRING: vif0.1
IF-MIB::ifName.9 = STRING: vif0.2
IF-MIB::ifHighSpeed.5 = Gauge32: 10
IF-MIB::ifHighSpeed.7 = Gauge32: 10
IF-MIB::ifHighSpeed.9 = Gauge32: 10

IF-MIB::ifName.13 = STRING: eth2
IF-MIB::ifName.14 = STRING: eth1
IF-MIB::ifName.15 = STRING: eth0
IF-MIB::ifHighSpeed.13 = Gauge32: 1000
IF-MIB::ifHighSpeed.14 = Gauge32: 1000
IF-MIB::ifHighSpeed.15 = Gauge32: 1000

IF-MIB::ifName.20 = STRING: vif2.0
IF-MIB::ifName.21 = STRING: vif2.1
IF-MIB::ifName.22 = STRING: vif2.2
IF-MIB::ifHighSpeed.20 = Gauge32: 1000
IF-MIB::ifHighSpeed.21 = Gauge32: 1000
IF-MIB::ifHighSpeed.22 = Gauge32: 1000

DomU

IF-MIB::ifHighSpeed.1 = Gauge32: 10
IF-MIB::ifHighSpeed.2 = Gauge32: 10
IF-MIB::ifHighSpeed.3 = Gauge32: 10
IF-MIB::ifHighSpeed.4 = Gauge32: 10

IF-MIB::ifName.1 = STRING: lo
IF-MIB::ifName.2 = STRING: eth0
IF-MIB::ifName.3 = STRING: eth1
IF-MIB::ifName.4 = STRING: eth2

I know that my network speed is no limited at 10Mb/s but the packet rate yes.

I'm trying to change the Virtual Interface configuration but I don't know how to do this.

Thanks

--
Wark