xen-community

[Xen-community] different use of xen

To: <xen-community@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-community] different use of xen
From: Stijn Adriaensens <stino85@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 20:58:25 +0100
Delivery-date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 11:58:29 -0800
Sender: xen-community-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The main reason for me to send this message is the purchase of a new desktop computer. I learned about virtualisation in a VMware course, and I tought of an idea to practice it differently than we usually think of.

In concrete, I was wondering if it would be possible to install Xen on my desktop computer (Intel Q6600 with Intel VT, 4GB DDR2 RAM) and only there. When I boot it, I would start the Xen hypervisor, and write a script that gives me the possibility to choose a VM to boot (Xp, Vista, Linux). Also I would like to be able to initialise a new VM using a template, in order to be able to have a fresh OS ready whenever I boot my computer.

When I shut down i would like to be able to make a snapshot of the VM so that I can resume it on later occasions. Most of the time there will be only one VM running. But it might be handy later to have more than one that is running when the host is up.

What do you think of this idea? Is it possible, a good idea, other options? I'm looking forward to your responses.

Kind regards,