xen-cim

Re: [Xen-cim] How can I use xen-CIM?

Ashit Kumar wrote:
> Hi Gareth,
> Thanks for the info.Actually i wanted to know if we can manage the
> VBDs on DomU from the Dom0. And how can we discover the backing
> storage on host system.

Yes, you can manage domU vbds from cim providers in dom0.  ATM, you can
only add/remove vbds.  The providers do not support modifying properties
of an existing vbd, although it would be easy to add and patches are
always welcome :-).  I don't know how much modify functionality is
available via new Xen API, so we may be limited in what can be done in
the providers for the time.  BTW, all of this applies to vif devices as
well.

> Can we anyhow map these Xen-CIM model through CLI?

What CLI?  Not sure what you're asking.  There are generic wbem/cim
CLIs, e.g.

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=128809&package_id=141067

> I hope i am making sense.Actually i want to map these Xen-CIM object
> through CLI for RHEL,as of now. This i guess will definitely make
> a contribution to the Xen development because RHEL distro for Xen-CIM
> is not targetted currently and these mappings may be a help for the users.

The Xen CIM providers will only work on Xen >= 3.0.5, which at the
moment is xen-unstable :-).  That said, I have backported several Xen
API related patches to 3.0.4-testing, which we are using in SLES10 SP1,
allowing the CIM providers to run on Xen 3.0.4 tools stack in SLES10
SP1.  I have not backported all of the Xen API improvements that have
come into xen-unstable since the 3.0.4 branch, so the providers don't
have full xen-unstable functionality but more than available in vanilla
3.0.4.

Ideally we would like to be consuming as much of Xen API as possible
when Xen 3.0.5 is released.  Realistically, I doubt the providers will
have little if any additional functionality for Xen 3.0.5.  But don't
let that discourage you, there is reasonable functionality in the
providers today :-).

As for REHL, I'm not aware of anyone working on an adapter (or shim, or
mapping layer, or ...) that will allow the CIM providers to work on REHL
xen tools stack.

Regards,
Jim