xen-cim

RE: [Xen-cim] Xen-CIM provider release

To: "Subrahmanian, Raj" <raj.subrahmanian@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Ashit Kumar" <Ashit_Kumar@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-cim] Xen-CIM provider release
From: Gareth S Bestor <bestor@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 09:16:58 -0600
Cc: xen-cim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 06 Mar 2007 07:16:08 -0800
Sender: xen-cim-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The Xen CIM providers are not distro-specific per se, rather they are dependent on the underlying Xen mgmt APIs. Currently the CIM providers require the new Xen APIs, which started showing up in Xen 3.0.4, and hopefully will be 'baked' when Xen 3.0.5 comes out in the next few weeks. For backwards compatibility, there will be a part of the Xen API effort includes a new_Xen_API--to--old_Xen_API adapter, to map the new Xen API RPCs calls against the existing Xen 3.0.x APIs (libxm, xenstore, xm, ...).

For now at least, the focus of CIM provider development has been targeting SLES10 SP1, which will ship with Xen 3.0.4 plus a bunch of patches for additional Xen API support. If/when/how the Xen CIM providers will run on, say, a RHEL5.x base will depend on exactly what base Xen version is shipped with the distro and, if pre Xen 3.0.5,  the readiness of this adapter.

- Gareth

Dr. Gareth S. Bestor
IBM Linux Technology Center
M/S DES2-01
15300 SW Koll Parkway, Beaverton, OR 97006
503-578-3186, T/L 775-3186, Fax 503-578-3186

"Subrahmanian, Raj" <raj.subrahmanian@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: xen-cim-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

03/06/2007 08:38 AM

"Ashit Kumar" <Ashit_Kumar@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-cim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
RE: [Xen-cim] Xen-CIM provider release

Ashit,
I don't know about Red Hat's release plans. The CIM providers in the repo should work with unstable Xen soon.
There's some amount of forward porting that will be required, but that will be done quite shortly.
Raj