xen-cim

[Xen-cim] Allocation Capabilities big picture

To: <xen-cim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-cim] Allocation Capabilities big picture
From: "Szymanski, Lukasz K" <Lukasz.Szymanski@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 17:07:36 -0500
Delivery-date: Thu, 02 Nov 2006 13:46:27 -0800
Sender: xen-cim-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I am trying to think of the big picture wrt AllocationCapabilities.  Looking at the Profile doc I see that there are 4 associations that connect AllocationCapabilites to other classes, those being: ComputerSystem, ResourcePool, CurrentRASD, RecordedRASD.  Is there a need, therefore, for 4 associations (e.g. ComputerSystemToProcessorElementCapabilites, ResourcePoolToProcessorElementCapabilites, etc) ?  Is there a better way of doing this?

BTW, this would hold true for each type of resource (proc, memory, network, disk).  That's 4x4 new associations.  That seems like a lot, but I am not sure how else to approach it.

I am thinking that in ProcessorAllocationCapabilites you would go through discovering the Allocation Capability with some case statement like this:

Case (From ResourcePool)
Case (From ComputerSystem)

Finally we need to associate the ProcessorAllocationCapability with ProcessorCapabiltiesSettingData (which is already done).  The association would be called something like ProcessorSettingsDefineCapabilites.

I have some bits of this coded, but don't want to submit anything until I have a suitable chunk ready to go.

Suggestions?  Comments?

Thanks,
Luke