xen-cim

Re: [Xen-cim] Memory pool question

To: Gareth S Bestor <bestor@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-cim] Memory pool question
From: Jim Fehlig <jfehlig@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 09:42:40 -0600
Cc: xen-cim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 08:47:26 -0700
Sender: xen-cim-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Reposting since it appears my original post didn't make it to the list ...

Gareth S Bestor wrote:

I would say use CIM_Memory (a LogicalDevice) as the things to aggregate into the MemoryPool. The only situation I could see wanting to aggregate, and therefore allocate, PhysicalMemory into a pool would be for some sorta physical partitioning architecture, which Xen isnt.

Makes sense.

Of course, that begs the next question, which is what do we do for pooling PCI slots to assign to DomUs, which Xen now supports... :-)

Well, I guess we could say Xen supports some physical partitioning concepts and for those resource types the pools will behave a little differently. IIRC, RASD has some type parameter for specifying whether the resource is pass-thru, virtualized, etc. And the virtual device can have a HostedDependency relationship with the physical device in the pass-thru case. What is unclear is existing modeling (and implementation) for such resources.

Jim