xen-cim

Re: [Xen-cim] Re: SMASH and CLP work now available

To: Jim Fehlig <jfehlig@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-cim] Re: SMASH and CLP work now available
From: Gareth S Bestor <bestorga@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 13:50:19 -0700
Cc: xen-cim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 13:45:17 -0700
Sender: xen-cim-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The SMASH providers use config files to describe behavior on a given
installation.  E.g. if Dell sells SLES10 on some hardware that they have
"better" instrumentation for, then they can insert their custom provider
code high up in the data collection path - overriding data collected by
lower-layer, more generic instrumentation.  Perhaps we could use a
similar technique to define how the providers use host instrumentation
on a given installation.  This is one of the items I wanted to discuss
tomorrow :-).

Yes, the SMASH infrastructure as implemented - in particular the aggregator - makes it very easy to extend the base SMASH profiles with information garnered by other instrumentation. I rally like the way they went about this, as it makes it very easy to extend and customize and prioritize different sources of resource info.

- Gareth

Dr. Gareth S. Bestor
IBM Linux Technology Center
M/S DES2-01
15300 SW Koll Parkway, Beaverton, OR 97006
503-578-3186, T/L 775-3186, Fax 503-578-3186

Inactive hide details for Jim Fehlig <jfehlig@xxxxxxxxxx>Jim Fehlig <jfehlig@xxxxxxxxxx>

          Jim Fehlig <jfehlig@xxxxxxxxxx>
          Sent by: xen-cim-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

          06/29/06 01:07 PM

Gareth S Bestor/Poughkeepsie/IBM@IBMUS

cc

xen-cim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Subject

Gareth S Bestor wrote:

> its going to be very important for us - for SBLIM, and not just for
> Xen - to get these SMASH providers ported to CMPI. I'm hoping we can
> throw some of our bodies on it, and I'm asking about it, but cannot
> make any promises.

I have some question related to this.  Handle it tomorrow.

> I'd also like to see SMASH CLP support for doing the equivalent of
> 'xm' for better command-line management of Xen thru the CIM
> interfaces; wbemcli and CLI are pretty crude and unintuitive...

Yeah, I talked to the developer of CLP a while back about this.  It
sounds like most of the work will be defining the extensions to clp
syntax for virt stuff - extending the tool then is automated IIRC.
Don't know what this entails as I'm not familiar with the CLP spec.

> Since most of the assoc providers use upcalls to get endpoint data, it
> should be possible to directly use these SMASH providers easily,
> though it would restrict folks to using OpenWBEM for their resident
> CIMOM till everything is ported to CMPI. Also, I really want to try
> using sfcb, which is CMPI only.

The SMASH providers use config files to describe behavior on a given
installation.  E.g. if Dell sells SLES10 on some hardware that they have
"better" instrumentation for, then they can insert their custom provider
code high up in the data collection path - overriding data collected by
lower-layer, more generic instrumentation.  Perhaps we could use a
similar technique to define how the providers use host instrumentation
on a given installation.  This is one of the items I wanted to discuss
tomorrow :-).

------
Some context for the list:
Novell released implementations of various SMASH profiles and Command
Line Protocol (CLP) spec this week.

http://developer.novell.com/wiki/index.php/OMC

Jim