xen-cim

Re: [Xen-cim] Feedback needed for libvirt new APIs

To: veillard@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-cim] Feedback needed for libvirt new APIs
From: Jim Fehlig <jfehlig@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 14:07:43 -0600
Cc: xen-cim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 13:08:14 -0700
Sender: xen-cim-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Daniel Veillard wrote:

 Hi,

could you check that the suggested APIs there are enough to implement that
notion of defined but not running domains needed for CIM ?
 https://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2006-April/msg00043.html

Looks good.  I do have a question about the following point:

- new state for defined non-running domains showing in virNodeGetInfo

virDomainState enumeration contains VIR_DOMAIN_SHUTOFF. Looking at the code I see that this value gets assigned to state field in virDomainInfo structure when xend claims the vm is dying. Should there be a more explicit state for dying? It seems like VIR_DOMAIN_SHUTOFF would be more appropriate for the "defined but not running" vm state, although I have no problem with VIR_DOMAIN_[POWERED_OFF | NOT_RUNNING | INACTIVE | DISABLED].

The XML will have to expand (as discussed previously) to accommodate other guest types, e.g. hvm guests. Also, I like the virDomainCreate() API. Not sure how you want to handle creating hvm guests without first defining. Currently the API is virDomainCreateLinux(), which is only restrictive in its name assuming the implementation could parse xmlDesc parameter containing hvm config.

Regards,
Jim