xen-cim

Re: [Xen-cim] xm shim

To: Jim Fehlig <jfehlig@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-cim] xm shim
From: Daniel Veillard <veillard@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 05:03:39 -0400
Cc: xen-cim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 07 Apr 2006 02:03:51 -0700
Sender: xen-cim-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, Apr 06, 2006 at 10:40:43AM -0400, Jim Fehlig wrote:
> [resend as I don't think my post last night made it through - still some
> internal problems with posting to lists.xensource.com]

  I got it, twice, this morning :-)

> I have finally gotten around to testing the xm to libvirt (temporary) shim.
> It is looking good with the exception of xm_set_domain(), xm_delete(),
> xm_create() and xm_migrate() - no corresponding libvirt entry points as
> discussed earlier.  These routines are coded to proposed entry points posted
> on libvirt mailing list.

  I'm still trying to clean up the internals of libvirt a bit, I hope
I will be able to finish today, and will release 0.1.0 today or this week-end
Except migrate which sounds a bit premature to me the others should not be
horribly hard. But I need to fix some of the internals first to get unicity
of structures internally, and thread safety before going further...

> I opened a discussion on libvirt ml concerning additional entry points to
> support the idea of setting config, activating a domain based on previously
> set config, and deleting config.  There seems to be some resistance to
> providing this functionality in libvirt and I'm not sure that I disagree.
> Perhaps better said is that I don't have any compelling arguments supporting
> the idea  :-) .  Please join in the discussion if you think otherwise. Other
> tools will surely use libvirt and they don't know or care about defined vm's.
>  The provider should probably implement this functionality IMHO.  Question is
> whether config is written to xenstore, a file, the cimom's static instance
> repository??  If written to xenstore, then as Gareth pointed out why use a
> middleman ** jim sighs **.

  Do we really need to save those to stable storage ? That's still the question
I don't have a clear answer about.

Daniel

veillard@xxxxxxxxxx  | libxml GNOME XML XSLT toolkit  http://xmlsoft.org/