xen-arm

Re: [XenARM] Which ARM architecture is plannet to be supported.

To: sbuk.suh@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [XenARM] Which ARM architecture is plannet to be supported.
From: "Jean-Christophe DUBOIS" <jcd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 23:56:09 +0200
Cc: xen-arm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 14:56:36 -0700
Sender: xen-arm-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello Sang-burn,

Thanks for your answer.

If I read you correctly, Xen on ARM for ARMv5 and ARMv6 does not seem good
performance wise. Do you have some benchmarks on this topic (Linux bare metal
compared to Linux on top of Xen)? Obviously the lack of virtualization
features on these processors mandates the use of a para-virtualized low level
API that may certainly have its drawbacks.

Now excuse my ignorance but it seems other hypervisors out there (the L4
familly for example) have acceptable performance hit when it comes to running
Linux on ARM. In addition you may want to consider that for certain type of
application the use of an hypervisor may not be driven only by performance
reasons. Hypervisors are bringing other types of benefits/services.  An there
are a lot of devices out there which are not ARMv7 based and that would be too
bad to let them Xen-orphaned.

Beside Xen still supports generic x86 (32 bits) architecture which for the
most part has no hardware support for virtualization and therefore also need
to take the para-virtualization way with the same kind of performance hit I
guess. Is it real worse on ARM?

As for cortex A15 it is "just" another ARMv7 processor with added
virtualization features so it certainly make sense to add support for it after
the CortexA8/A9 is done. But there will not be a lot of people out there able
to help as the access to such hardware will be scarce at first.

Regards

JC