xen-arm

RE: [XenARM] VMM for smart devices

To: kernel cross <crosskernel@xxxxxxxxx>, Fasiha Ashraf <feehapk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [XenARM] VMM for smart devices
From: ROSSIER Daniel <Daniel.Rossier@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2009 19:08:49 +0100
Accept-language: fr-FR, en-US
Acceptlanguage: fr-FR, en-US
Cc: "xen-arm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-arm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 06 Mar 2009 10:08:57 -0800
Sender: xen-arm-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Fasiha,

The status is as following as far as I know:

- Regarding the XEN arm project, Samsung will release a para-virtualized Linux
running on top of their hypervisor in the upcoming days. I've no further
information regarding that.

- Regarding the EmbeddedXEN project, we are about to release a new version of
xen-pxa270-qemu which is the port of XEN on PXA270 processor based upon the
original work of George Davis from MontaVista (please note that QEMU is easily
replaceable by a compatible PXA270-compatible board. We have adopted a
completely different approach which consists of having an embedded
Linux+XEN+dom0/domU in a simple binary image. Please, be aware that it will be
a first version which has very few functionalities of XEN, but it will be
extended in the coming months. We will besides keep the mailing list aware of
the progress on a more regular basis as so far, telling what we are trying to
do and what ongoing work. roughly said, our objective in EmbeddedXen is merely
the support of hard realtime OS kernel (in a first solution, we opt for the
integration of Xenomai, replacing the Adeos nanokernel by a modified
hypervisor). On the other hand, we are also working on an IMX.31 port based on
Samsung's work, enhanced with our realtime extensions (in that sense, the
project differs from Samsung's one since we will put less efforts on security
and more on low-latency issues).
As far as I know, there is no port of iPhone; but I guess iPhone is based on
something similar to iMX31 processor, you could benefit from our work.

Saying that, we hope that a more larger community will be active in the ARM
port of XEN in the future. We will spend some efforts in promoting that.

Kind regards
Daniel