xen-api

[Xen-API] WARNING:/dev/xvda is not a disk image

To: xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-API] WARNING:/dev/xvda is not a disk image
From: Chris Percol <chris.percol@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2010 22:17:30 +0000
Delivery-date: Sat, 18 Dec 2010 14:17:47 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:received:date:message-id :subject:from:to:content-type; bh=NcnzNuWJH0w1BDNOg9TC31aGuXo4RZpVs4Y8WRXoFHg=; b=Hp+bUeJy7koXN7ylarsMDEtto3QvMx952GycGdTIA4blWFQftPbQcWWtHAuwKVkb5j UUGhiOLsBiwBWo629nZty6Z/2PhRw7C0ZaMBOwz27FyWzi6vzVJiJMrCMj+W6dUMDBQy khSHH5CEHAfbXZ4kthuBkR3LsPiVT0O0zmNCI=
Sender: xen-api-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

I am using xcp 1 beta with xencentre fp1 and I'm having problems installing new vms.

This is the scenario

:: I can create a new vm sucessfully for Ubuntu Lucid 64 or CentOS 5.4
:: Either can be created from the local cdrom or a connected cifs sr
:: On first boot the install can't detect drivers and the install can't continue.
:: If I restart the vm from the failed install I can't start it again and get the following error for the CentOS vm

WARNING:/dev/xvda is not a disk image - traceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/bin/pygrub", line 746, in ? - raise RuntimeError, "Enable to find partition containing kernel"

[Update - previously sent question above to xen-users]

I also get a similar issue when installing a Windows 2008 R2 Datacentre vm from cdrom, install can't continue as it is looking for drivers. However, if I install the windows vm to a iscsi san connected to the same host the install completes. I have also discovered netinstalls work ok for centos/ubuntu vms?

Any ideas as to why my vms are having problems with xvda? I can live with the linux netinstalls but I would like the option of knowing I can install window's vms to the host sr.

Many thanks,

Chris