xen-api

Re: [Xen-API] Patch discussion: Add NTP field to PIF to ntp configure

To: Rob Hoes <Rob.Hoes@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-API] Patch discussion: Add NTP field to PIF to ntp configure
From: Simon Rowe <simon.rowe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2010 11:11:01 +0100
Cc: "xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 08:24:31 -0700
Sender: xen-api-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thursday 07 Oct 2010 11:04:33 Rob Hoes wrote:

> The patch looks good to me as well, and could indeed be quite useful. I'd
> just like to ask Simon Rowe (cc'ed) to review the part where ntp.conf is
> changed, as I am not too familiar with that.
>
> Simon, could you take a look at Alberto's email below and the changes to
> interface-reconfigure, which are at the end of the patch (I have
> re-attached it)?

It doesn't appear to handle local clock sources properly.

In short any IP address that starts 127.127. refers to a local source of time.
This can either be a free running clock or a piece of hardware. It makes no
sense for anyone other than ntp to be aware of local clocks so they should be
filtered out when presented to the user or stored in xapi. When the list of
servers is being rebuilt any local clocks should be preserved.

        Simon