xen-api

Re: [Xen-API] Selecting a linux distro for a xen-api involved project

To: Madhuri Venkatesh <madhureev@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-API] Selecting a linux distro for a xen-api involved project
From: Daniel Veillard <veillard@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 22:07:24 +0100
Cc: xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 06:01:08 -0800
Sender: xen-api-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 08:13:31PM +0530, Madhuri Venkatesh wrote:
> Hi,
> I wanted an opinion on the most xen-compatible linux distro.
>
> Im embarking on a 4 month project  with xen which involves the following
> objectives:
>       1.>Creating a tool with GUI that allows
>                          a)starting,stopping restarting domUs
>                          b)maintaining a status log of domUs
>                          c)migration of dom Us
>                           d) provides status info about domUs

  Well that sounds very much like virt-manager which is already
  available, not sure it's really useful to rebuild the same thing over.

>     2.>Monitoring and Analyzing network usage of domUs using NS2
>     3.>Testing network protocols on the domUs using NS2 in Real time.
>
> I will need to use Xen-api ,which needs xen3.2 or higher...Fedora 8(my
> current dom0)comes with xen3.1 and i ran into "dependency hell" trying to do
> a yum update.

  Well, Xen-api is not very lively as you can see from the archives of
this mailing-list, I wonder about the reason behind your choice, why not
use for example libvirt.

> I want to select a suitable OS for the dom0...ive heard that CentOS and
> Ubuntu Intrepid are good,i wanted an opinion on which will be the most
> suitable development environment to achieve these goals.Please help.
> Thanks

  You should be able to find libvirt in CentOS/RHEL/Fedora or Ubuntu,
as was pointed before it's mostly a matter of Xen and kernel version
you want to address.

Daniel

daniel@xxxxxxxxxxxx  | Rpmfind RPM search engine http://rpmfind.net/