xen-api

[Xen-API] API design question realted to security extensions for Xen-API

To: xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, xense@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-API] API design question realted to security extensions for Xen-API
From: Stefan Berger <stefanb@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 16:39:12 -0500
Cc: Reiner Sailer <sailer@xxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 13:38:23 -0800
Sender: xen-api-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello,

 we are looking for advice on an API-design question. The question is related to our proposed extensions for managing Xen security policies through the Xen-API, but we think that the discussion can be lead on a more abstract level to get more input from a wider audience.
On a more concret level and as background: The problem is related to the fact that today there is one type of security policy in Xen, but in the future there might be different ones. The Xen-API extensions that we are proposing should be able to accomodate those future extensions as well thorugh the function calls we are providing, though today we might not exactly know how these extensions look like, what functions they need and what paramters those functions need.

For the design of our current API we considered the kind of functionality we wanted to have and created an API  with function signatures having *well-defined input parameters and output parameters* in forms of data types and structures. This lead to the design of a *broad API* with very specilized calls that work well for what we want to do with what we have today, but these calls are likely not able to work with different types of policies due to the parameters passed to these functions and the type of return values they get.

In trying to accomodate future extensions where we would likely not know the parameters needed for function calls, we could resort to a *narrow API* with rather generic function call names where we would pass an operation code about what the function is supposed to do along with some form of encoding parameters needed for the operation. This encoding of the parameters might be a 'char *' with a string in XML form. The return value could also be in form of XML.
[A scheme definition of the XML, though, would in turn reflect that we still don't know what the future parameters might be and might therefore again be subject to change.]
Another option would be to pass a structure that can accomodate our current well-defined input parameters and adapt the structure when new parameters are needed in future version of a library.

So what the decision comes down to is the choice of either implementing  a broad API with functions taking well-defined data types and structures where new functions might need to be add in the future to accomodate future functionality  *OR* a generic API with generic function names and parameters that might not need to be extended.

Some background knowledge on the implementation-level of such things  inside the libxen 'C' library helps:

It is easy to have well-defined data structures (and arrays of those) serialized and deserialized by libxen for easy creation and consumption of datstructures by applications using the Xen-API. This would speak for a broad API with well-defined data structures.   XML-encoded parameters and results, on the other hand, would require creation and parsing of the parameters and return values by an application, but could accomodate future extensions more easily.

Any insights on such a design decision are welcome.

  Stefan