xen-api

Re: [Xen-API] Xen Management API draft

To: Ewan Mellor <ewan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-API] Xen Management API draft
From: "Daniel P. Berrange" <berrange@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 18:36:22 +0100
Cc: Xen-API <xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 10:36:38 -0700
Sender: xen-api-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, Jun 26, 2006 at 04:46:43PM +0100, Ewan Mellor wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 23, 2006 at 09:36:33AM -0400, Mike D. Day wrote:
>
> > 2.6.1 VM class
> >

> > Need an addition field "profile" that allows the user to classify VMs
> > for particular purposes. For example, "web server," "sendmail switch,"
> > "dbms host," "devel workstation," etc.
> >
> > This should be a list attribute. Might be good to supply some
> > enumerated values but also allow values that are not enumerated.
>
> What would you do with this "profile"?

This sounds like its getting into area of arbitrary metadata - rather
than denoting a bunch of explicit metadata fields, it might be useful
to consider a general purpose metadata field - for example a string
containing an XML doc following Dublin Core metadata schema, which would
allow either the administrator, or management tools to define these kind
of tags &/ categorization as required

> > VM needs a migrate method:
> >
> > Bool migrate(session id s, vm ref vm, host ref current, host ref
> > destination, Bool test)
>
> D'oh!  We probably want a migrate command in there ;-)

How would authentication operate - the destination host must have some
kind of  authentication process before accepting migration of a VM from
another host. So would this API assume that authentication credentials
have been previoously set up behind the scenes ? If not then the migrate
API would need some way to request / receive authenitcation credentials.

Regards,
Dan.