xci-devel

Re: [Xci-devel] Which API for VM lifecycle?

To: Andreas Sommer <AndiDog@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xci-devel] Which API for VM lifecycle?
From: Vincent Hanquez <vincent.hanquez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 14:38:20 +0000
Cc: "xci-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xci-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 06:38:13 -0800
Sender: xci-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Andreas Sommer wrote:
As far as I understand xenvm/xenops (toolstack.git/xenvm/*.ml) are only frontends to the xenops library files (toolstack.git/xenops/*.ml) which in turn are helper functions for libxc calls. Is that correct? And if so, could I simply use libxc's functions for doing simple tasks in XCI (using C as programming language)?

the xenops library is "just" libxc and libxenstore calls in sequences, however the whole point of the library is actually to hide the complexity of having to do the calls yourself.

so the quick answer is yes, you could just calls libxc functions, just like you can do that too with xend (the legacy opensource toolstack), but it wouldn't be very easy. (it would be the same as playing piano with just the raw strings and a hammer)

note that there's an in-development C library to replace xenops and provide the same level of functionality, that is available on xen-unstable that hide libxc and libxenstore calls, which is called libxenlight, which you might be interested to look at. it's not yet available in the XCI tree, but there's a plan to make it available there when it's ready.

for extremely simple functions like pausing/unpausing/listing domain(s), you could do that trivially with libxc.

--
Vincent