Re: [Xen-users] New Install Plan Help - NIC Requirements

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] New Install Plan Help - NIC Requirements
From: Simon Hobson <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 08:04:11 +0100
Delivery-date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 00:06:06 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<ray@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
They both have a single on-board Ethernet port. I am wondering about the possibility/need to have a 2-port plug-in NIC. A scenario is to have a domU Windows or Linux SVN/Apache/PostgreSQL VM and interact with it through another domU Windows or Linus VM. I also may want to remote in from the Internet or a Windows remote desktop through a domU Windows VM.

None of that needs more than one NIC.

Imagine if any bridge(s) you set up to connect guests to are switches, and each guest is a real machine - do you *need* more than one connection to the rest of your network for everything to work ? A fairly typical setup (at least to start with) is to create one bridge in your host, connect one external NIC to it, and connect all your guests to it. Then all your guests appear to be on one network - just as though they were physical machines plugged into one switch.

Even if you want multiple networks (eg for a DMZ, office internal network, public wireless, etc) then these can still be done with one NIC and VLANs if you have a VLAN capable switch. On the other hand, it can be easier to manage and setup to use separate NICs for each separate network.

Really, it's a case of working what your needs are, and then addressing them. There isn't a right or wrong way (though some are better or worse than others), just an optimal way for your requirements.
--
Simon Hobson