Re: [Xen-users] How to put a DomU offline?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] How to put a DomU offline?
From: Periko Support <pheriko.support@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2011 09:48:39 -0800
Delivery-date: Sat, 12 Nov 2011 09:50:20 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to :content-type:content-transfer-encoding; bh=in7ipGPfxtONE3IrKnj2x+faqcMj1EwhPbLBWXEJYhE=; b=D/OL53YJTud5dSw6myYSX1YhviM7zPTo86nm8BKjNUDcqS7jzGWs1THTRDHWkoaDl2 va4iqrXc55N+zuwkRPTyzKV2slnD7zfc3YibRTgvp+dBztaWK5izLBkFjgkXGVT2xK4Q KOSBp8pUH/UQRjpNyAXbBwm6xY4ln5fnd4Lqw=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Sat, Nov 12, 2011 at 5:17 AM, Robert Zaleski <rlzaleski@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I think initially you just have to shut down your domU instance from within
> it, since it's Linux you could do one of the following
> /sbin/init 0
> or
> shutdown now
> Then run the virsh commands from dom0 to update everything.
> And then restart your vm, I generally use
> xm create <CONFIG>
> where   <CONFIG> is the name of my domU to reload the config and start the
> domU
> What's the link to the tutorial you are following?
> Then restart the device
>
> On Sat, Nov 12, 2011 at 4:37 AM, Periko Support <pheriko.support@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>>
>>  I follow the steps of redhat 5 PCI passthrough with Xen, but it say:
>>
>> Run virsh edit (or virsh attach device) and add a device entry in the
>> <devices> section to attach the PCI device to the guest. Only run this
>> command on offline guests. Red Hat Enterprise Linux does not support
>> hotplugging PCI devices at this time
>>
>>  How can I put my guest offline?
>>
>>  Because I follow the example but I cannot write my changes.
>>
>>  centos 5.7 x64 Xen4.1, thanks!!!

http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5/html/Virtualization/chap-Virtualization-PCI_passthrough.html

This is a HVM Windows 7.

I had use shutdown, pause, etc but the virsh edit DomU don't let me do
what the paper say:

# virsh edit win2k3
<hostdev mode='subsystem' type='pci' managed='yes'>
  <source>
      <address domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x1a' function='0x7'/>
  </source>
</hostdev>

If I try this it send a message error every time I want to save the
file, with my domU values:

error: XML error: failed to build sexpr

Thanks.