Re: [Xen-users] New to Xen

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] New to Xen
From: Niels Dettenbach <nd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 15:03:18 +0100
Delivery-date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 06:07:54 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Am Freitag, 11. November 2011, 13:59:53 schrieb J. Roeleveld:
> I have seperate configs for the different domUs. (They don't all do the
> same things and prefer to only enable what is really needed)
Yes, makes much sense in production...

> > CONFIG_XEN_BACKEND=y
> > CONFIG_XEN_BLKDEV_BACKEND=y
> > CONFIG_XEN_BLKDEV_TAP=y
>
> Is this one necessary when using LVM LVs for the partitions?
TAP is for file based disks only - BLKDEV_BACKEND should be required if want
to use LVM (phy).

> > CONFIG_XEN_NETDEV_TX_SHIFT=8
>
> Not seen this one yet (or missed it). Guess I've got some reading/googling
> to do.
This is not completely clear to me and i would not put my hand in any fire for
it... I assume it relys to any kind of buffer / mapping within the network
stuff.

In openSuSe (just read that) these value seems changed to 10, others use 12
here - i just left the default for now as initially recommended by the
regarding xen code / patch writer.

I still have some strange TCP / networking problems with some older DomUs
after upgrading to 4.1.2 (from 3.4.3) - this may or may not related to this
setting.

> > CONFIG_XEN_PCIDEV_BACKEND=y
> > CONFIG_XEN_PCIDEV_BACKEND_VPCI=y
>
> Only when passing PCI-devices to domUs, right? :)
Yes, but did not worked with it yet (lack of time)...

> > CONFIG_XEN_TPMDEV_BACKEND=m
> > CONFIG_XEN_SCSI_BACKEND=y
> > CONFIG_XEN_USB_BACKEND=m
>
> These three, only when passing the devices to the domU?
Yes...

> > CONFIG_XEN_NETDEV_ACCEL_SFC_FRONTEND=m
>
> Need to read up on this, name sounds interesting.
...afair that only affects special network accel hardware (Solarflare NICs).

> > Yes (in Dom0).
>
> Ok, the documentation I found was contradictory on this point.
> What I found seemed to indicate that xl doesn't use xend and will work
> without xend running.
> But when using xm, xend is needed.
Ok, right, my fault...
this is new to me (work with 4.x just since some days now...).

As i just have some own older scriptwork relying on xm i need this at least
until i've ported them... If you work just with the new xl toolchain you did
not require xend any longer...Thanks for pointing me here...

cheers,

Niels.

--
---