Re: [Xen-users] OpenSuse 11 hvm domU: screen resolution up to 640x480

To: Flavio <fbcyborg@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] OpenSuse 11 hvm domU: screen resolution up to 640x480
From: jim burns <jim_burn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2011 17:21:14 -0500
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sun, 06 Nov 2011 14:22:48 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=bellsouth.net; s=s1024; t=1320618085; bh=EzJ/tD38ouw8D8/V7mvX2HazzGjilNuerOhBO26UltM=; h=X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-SMTP:Received:From:To:Cc:Subject:Date:Message-ID:User-Agent:In-Reply-To:References:MIME-Version:Content-Transfer-Encoding:Content-Type; b=gWlk+sjahBiyP0lOwjlv2SMEqlepzZLgqxS9Xuq77aKsrT5JzIFuDSOCFoOce+rxVPNwqSs9VuebL/7WXwbta5izAIVoXefA4EUwIr3vquBfKrx40SbxydTisfmtnUP3uiDK5yHLUjLXMB87C2r2HinGu5pyIuIuGztofxCscp8=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Sun November 6 2011, 9:52:48 AM, Flavio wrote:
> On 6 November 2011 09:44, jim burns <jim_burn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > If you do a 'rpm -qi qemu-system-x86' (or whatever the package name is
> > in your system (and package manager)), you'll see that is a kvm
> > package, and thus not modified for xen.
>
> OK.
>
> > I've never had to do a linux hvm install, so I can't comment on the
> > differences.
>
> I think it's just a performance issue. As far as I know, there is no
> longer great difference
> between hvm and pv guest in XEN.

No, I mean there may be a difference between how linux and windows look at the
emulated devices qemu-dm provides - in particular, they may honor or ignore
some of the config file options, like eg: videoram=.

> > Could be that the 'videoram=' option is only meant for linux or
> > windows, but not both.
>
> I don't think so. I have a windows-7 (but also a windows-xp) and a
> CentOS domU (not hvm)
> both using videoram=16 and stdvga=1, and there is no problem. High
> resolution in both cases.

Umm - videoram and stdvga are hvm config file options. If the CentOS is pv,
it's ignoring them.

> > I do know I get the cirrus model in my winxp domu with
> > 'stdvga=0', and I get the 4M videoram error with videorams greater than
> > 4 and using 'xl create'.
>
> This happens to me only with this opensuse hvm guest. Now I've finally
> got the setup under
> qemu-system-x86_64 system working, so, I will see what will happen in
> this case, when
> I will boot the domU as a PV guest and not hvm.

Umm - if you are using kvm's qemu, I believe you are by definition doing an
hvm install - qemu is an emulator. Xen's qemu-dm is modified to provide pv
drivers depending on the -M option. Look at a '/bin/ps a -A|grep qemu'. For
hvm, it will say '-M xenfv', and for pv it will say '-M xenpv'.

> > I have also noticed that being limited to videoram=4 in my
> > winxp domu doesn't prevent me from getting 1280x1024 in vnc.
>
> mmmh.. So the screen resolution limitation is not related to this problem...
> interesting and much more confusing.
>
> I will let you know.
>
> Thank you.
> --
> Flavio

The only other thing I can think of - in the opensuse domu's
/boot/grub/memu.lst, on the 'kernel' line, make sure you are specifying the
vga= parm. With me, vga=0x31a gives me 1280x1024. Or, you could specify
vga=ask, and run thru the possibilities.