Re: [Xen-users] Time change conundrum

To: Niall Fleming <niall.fleming@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Time change conundrum
From: Florian Heigl <florian.heigl@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2011 00:16:45 +0100
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 02 Nov 2011 16:18:17 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Does the very short answer
"the domU time is calculated from a counter that is based of the dom0
uptime measured in nanoseconds - unless the domU is using
clocksource=jiffies" make it clearer?

Actually I'm not sure I got it 100% right on a technical point of view
now (tired, zzzzz), but the basic meaning is right:
You might be seeing a corner case where nothing but a dom0 reboot would help.
But I think you can also change the domU clock source at run-time, so
that might be preferrable right now.

My "datacenter" also didn't set the system clocks to UTC after some
maintenance. I resorted to a 2hour-downtime for the database boxes.
Not great. Time for yet another nagios check ;)

Florian