[Xen-users] XCP installation and management

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] XCP installation and management
From: Bud Bundy <budric@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 17:06:57 -0400
Delivery-date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 14:10:17 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello everyone,

I'm a new Xen user and I had some basic questions.  I've been playing with XenServer but I wanted to install XCP because it's open source.

1.  It seems XCP 1.1 uses 3.4.2 hypervisor.  How can I upgrade to 4.1 that's out?  Is there an easy way like a package manager in XCP?  And what's the general way to apply patches/updates to XCP?

2.  I believe there's an option of installing Linux system and then installing the Xen hypervisor with that system's package management.  For example Debian: aptitude -P install xen-linux-system.  I take it this installation modifies the kernel and in this case is Xen running on "bare metal" or is it like installing virtualization software on top of OS (like VirtualBox on top of Windows system)?

3.  Anyone try Ubuntu Server as Dom0, it's what I'm familiar with?  I read something about Xen being in the linux kernel, then it was taken out.  Anyway what stable linux distribution do people usually use that's the easiest to setup with Xen?

4.  Are there performance differences between XCP and other Dom0 Linux/BSD options?  If not, what's the rationale for XCP?

5.  What are some good management tools that you'd recommend?  I've been using XenCenter.  I believe it will work with XCP, but some features were not available until I buy full version.  I don't know if that's because of XenServer version or XenCenter version.