[Xen-users] XCP Test workstation

To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] XCP Test workstation
From: "Brett Westover" <bwestover@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2011 14:56:38 -0700
Delivery-date: Fri, 21 Oct 2011 14:58:47 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I have a Dell PowerEdge 2900 with X5355 processors.

I want to test the clustering features of XCP, but I don't have another
server handy. I am considering building a small machine in a desktop
form factor that will be compatible, but that I can then re-use as a
workstation later.

I noticed this server board was on the Citrix HCL for XenServer 5.6 FP2:
Intel Server Board S1200BTS

It will accept Xeon processors, but not the X5355 (not that those are
even available anymore). I also didn't see the X5355 on the
Heterogeneous CPU pool cross-reference at all.

Does anyone have any experience with creating the right CPU masks to
make two different CPUs work, and is there a model you recommend, versus
models you don't recommend?

My goal is an inexpensive test, so we can continue our transition from
VMware ESX, to XCP. If necessary, we might just build two small machines
and use those for the test. Can anyone recommend some inexpensive
workstation class hardware, that will work to test out a pooled
configuration?

Thanks,

Brett Westover