Re: [Xen-users] Dom0 IP Detection in Routed Mode

Aaron Cossey wrote:

With the server I'm running in routed mode, when I bring up an IP inside a DomU with:
 ip addr add x.x.x.x/32 dev eth0 peer x.x.x.x/32 broadcast x.x.x.x
The IP comes up on the DomU, then I have to manually add routing for it on the Dom0 with a command like:
 ip route add x.x.x.x dev vif8.0 scope link src x.x.x.x

Yes, that is correct when you abuse IP addressing like that - and it's nothing to do with Xen.

Normally, you would have both devices in the same subnet - and for a point to point link the smallest valid subnet is /30. So you'd have (eg) 192.168.1.13/30 on one end, and 192.168.1.14/30 on the other end, and each device will then automatically add a route of type "connected" for that subnet.

Doing /32 addressing like that, and adding specific routes, is one of those tricks used for working around other issues (such as lack of addresses).

--
Simon Hobson