[Xen-users] HVM domain without PV drivers: graceful shutdown not possibl

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] HVM domain without PV drivers: graceful shutdown not possible
From: Flavio <fbcyborg@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 09:21:04 +0200
Delivery-date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 00:22:51 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello,

I have a windows 7 domU installed and I have the following problem
whem trying to shutdown the
virtual machine using the command "xl shutdown <domain_id>":
libxl: error: libxl.c:553:libxl_domain_shutdown HVM domain without PV
drivers: graceful shutdown not possible, use destroy
shutdown failed (rc=-3)

I have seen the log files but I cannot get anything significant in my opinion.
I also have googled a lot and I've found that I have to install the PV
drivers on Windows.
This is strange, becouse I've never had this necessity when I was
using the old xm tool stack.

I read this page: http://wiki.xen.org/xenwiki/XenWindowsGplPv
So I've followed the instructions and tried to install the
gplpv_Vista2008x64_0.11.0.308_debug.msi
file in the domU, but I get this message: "testsigning must be on for
x64 when installing on vista or newer".

Well, googling again I've found that testsigning must be turned on and
I've done it performing the
following command in the domU:

bcdedit.exe -set TESTSIGNING ON

Then I tried again to setup the gplpv msi and all went OK.... up to
the next reboot!
The domU was completely unusable, and I was lucky that the windows
recovery worked, making
my domU working again.

At this point, I don't know what to do.

Can somebody tell me where I was wrong please?

--
Flavio